Saturday, February 21, 2009

Breastfeeding is not Obscene


So, it is as silly as it is.
I was online, and I saw that a friend of mine joined this event Mothers International Lactation Campaign M.I.L.C.. I was curious, thus I looked it up. I was surprised when I read about what was it about.

Apparently, FB thinks that posting breastfeeding pictures are obscene, and not suitable for many users.. . How silly, right? I have seen couple of things on different occasions that, I think are very obscene, yet you never see or hear FB making a big deal of them, terminating people' accounts, and deleting their posts. Unlike these dirty pictures that need to be terminated, breastfeeding pictures are beautiful, and nothing is absence about them. How sick of people to think dirty of a breastfeeding. There is nothing sexual about it. It is a beautiful, nurturing, and normal! Didn't their mothers tell them that?

I think that all FB' defending statements regarding the issue are very hypocritical. They need to start taking such action and attitude toward other things but breastfeeding - derogatory pictures, and groups that promotes nothing but absence material and values.

Obviously, what good values represent differ greatly these days, in a sad way.. .

3 comments:

  1. As an update to this post, I have a friend who is a mother and midwife-in-training who had her entire account and all her posts deleted without explanation a few weeks ago. She was eventually reinstated but has just had everything deleted again. If you are on Facebook and care about this issue, please check out the group mentioned in this post and find out how you can help. As this post mentions, you don't have to be on FB long to find something obscene - but breastfeeding is NOT one of those things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably it's obvious, but what I intended to say on the comment above is that my friend's account and posts were deleted due to her supposedly obscene postings - pictures of her breastfeeding her daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I know.
    It is so stupid. Their definition of values and obscene is BS!
    Sluts and AH on fb are uploading obscene pictures all over. let a lone the posts and the content of discussions!
    So, obviously, a nipple makes a huge difference, not the context!

    And it is so silly to delete the posts too!
    pfff...
    so sorry for your friend:(

    ReplyDelete